From Elkins, West Virginia, USA:

My daughter has had type 1 diabetes for three years. She will be turning eight in December. About six months ago, I had her C-Peptide checked because of unexplained low blood sugars and decreased insulin. This test was done by our family doctor. When the nurse called and gave me the result, she said it was in normal range; it was 1.0. I know she is a diabetic, so how can her C-Peptide be in normal range? Is it possible the test was done improperly and the result was wrong? Or, could she still be producing some of her own insulin? Her daily insulin dosage is 15 units and she weighs 54 pounds.

It is difficult to use C-Peptide results as they are extremely variable and hard to interpret unless part of a research project. After three years of diabetes, it would be unlikely, but not impossible, to have some of one's own insulin produced and this would be reflected in C-Peptide levels. Mostly, the unexpected hypoglycemia occurs because of erratic insulin absorption, erratic food absorption and changes in activity on any given day. I would suggest discussing this not with a family doctor but with a pediatric diabetes team who knows you and your child well and can review individual blood glucose changes, variability, dose schedules, etc. Also, you need to be sure that there is no concomitant celiac disease, thyroid or adrenal problems since these can also be reflected with unexpected hypoglycemia.

Posted to Other and Hypoglycemia