Question:

From Jaipur, Rajasthan, India:

I am 33 years old and I've had diabetes for seven years. My height is 6 feet and my weight is just 50 kg (110 pounds). My doctor is recommending I start on insulin. I've been controlling my diabetes with the help of yoga and oral medication, but I am now having problems with my control. What can you tell me about stem cell treatment?

Answer:

It sounds like you have lost a large amount of weight, which may be due to diabetes. Insulin therapy would be effective in putting some healthy weight back on. The tablets and physical activity may not be enough. Your physician should also be using a laboratory test called a hemoglobin A1c to help determine your average daily glucose over the last three months. Studies have shown this test correlates with complications and long-term outcomes. Many believe that insulin therapy is to be avoided. However, it is important to think of it as a potent tool in the treatment of elevated blood sugars.

Stem cell therapy is not a standard therapy at this time. It is a research study not commonly performed.

Posted to Research: Cure and Type 2