Question:

From Charlotte, North Carolina, USA:

My nine-year-old son was diagnosed with type 1 not quite a year ago. Before he was diagnosed, he suffered from night terrors from approximately the age of six. Little by little, they got better, somewhat disappearing. In fact, he had not had a night terror in almost a year. Last week, he had a stomach virus with high blood sugars for a few days. During those few days, his night terrors returned. Are they related to his diabetes?

Answer:

To my knowledge, there is no relationship at all for night terrors antecedent to type 1 diabetes. After diagnosis, it might be related some way to nocturnal low blood sugars. In your son's case, it seems not to apply anyway if he had a stomach virus with high blood sugars, which exacerbated his night terrors.