Question:

From Morgantown, West Virginia, USA:

My three-year-old, who weighs 26 pounds and is 35 inches tall, was diagnosed with type 1 and diabetes insipidus about four months ago. He is taking DDAVP and 0.5 unit Lantus daily. His antibody tests were negative. Growth hormones were normal. Have you ever seen children with both diabetes?

Also, I checked my other two children's fasting sugars this morning. My eight-year-old son's was 109 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L] and my six-year-old daughter's was 118 mg/dl [6.6 mmol/L]. My daughter has been using the bathroom every 20 minutes for the couple weeks. I had taken her to doctor to have her checked for a UTI, but it was negative. The meter is coded properly. They had not eaten in 12 hours. Should I have them both checked with our endocrinologist or take them to our pediatrician? Or, do I just monitor them for a while?

Answer:

Yes, but it is quite rare. There is a syndrome called Wolfram's syndrome that has both conditions because of a specific genetic defect. Does your child have any visual problems (optic atrophy is part of the syndrome) or deafness (also part of the syndrome complex)?

With respect to your other children, please review some of the many questions we have already answered about the Diagnosis and Symptoms of diabetes.