From Jefferson, South Carolina, USA:

My 18-year-old daughter has type 2 diabetes. What foods are not good for her?

These days, registered dietitians don't teach "good" food versus "bad" food as much as focusing on the total amount of carbohydrate consumed at a meal or snack. Carbohydrates turn into sugar which, in turn,can affect one's blood sugar so an accounting system for people with diabetes is the most useful in controlling post meal blood sugars. I would suggest you and your daughter schedule some time to meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning so they may assist you in developing an individualized meal plan. Rice and pasta can be worked into the meal plan (as well as other favorite foods) but portion sizes must be known and controlled or covered with appropriate insulin dosages. Ask your health care provider for a referral to a dietitian if needed.