Question:

From Hudson, Florida, USA:

Since I have had to cut down drastically on sugar, I would like to know if I can substitute honey for sugar in some things or is honey the same as sugar? I would, of course, be using a lot less honey than I would sugar, but I need to know if I can have it and don't want to bother my doctor with this question. My next appointment with him isn't until December 19.

Answer:

Honey is just another type of sweetener to consider with meal planning but, for diabetes, as long as small amounts are incorporated into your meal plan, there should be no reason that honey cannot be included. Fifteen grams of carbohydrate either comes in the form of 4 teaspoons of sugar or 1 tablespoon of honey. If you have further nutritional questions and your doctor can't assist with answers, please ask them for a referral to a registered dietitian who can certainly answer all nutritional questions related to your health.

JMS