Question:

From Yorba Linda, California, USA:

My 23-year-old nephew has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 13. He currently resides in Oregon. He just lost his job and is currently without medical insurance. He plans to come live with my family here in California. I want to know what, if any, aid if available to him until he can get a job and get insured. Is there any public aid available to help pay for insulin? What are his options if he needs to be hospitalized and can't pay?

Answer:

I am not familiar with the eligibility requirements for the Medi-Cal program for single men new to the state. Your nephew will have to apply upon his moving to California. If he had medical insurance through his last employment, he may be eligible for COBRA continuation for up to 18 months. There are time limits for applying for COBRA coverage. However, if it is available, it is his best option.

DSH

Posted to Insurance/Costs