Question:

From Lansing, Michigan, USA:

My four-year-old son recently had blood work done by his geneticist who told us that he has pre-type 1 diabetes and is in the "honeymoon" phase. His A1c was 5.6, fasting insulin was less than 2 and his C-Peptide was 0.7. He recently has been having fasting blood sugars in the 101 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] to 181 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L] range. I don't have any post meal blood sugars because he has been sick the past three days with the stomach flu and we have been "chasing" low blood sugar since. Is this doctor on the right page or not?

Answer:

It is impossible to make such a diagnosis on the web. However, the blood glucose readings you describe are all abnormal. You did not mention islet cell, GAD-65 or IA2 antibodies. These would tell you something about current inflammation in the beta cells of the pancreas. If positive, these would predict type 1 autoimmune diabetes; if negative, they are not so helpful diagnostically. There are also other types of genetic tests for maturity-onset-diabetes of the young (MODY) with many subtypes now diagnosable by blood testing. I would suggest a consultation with a pediatric diabetes specialist to advise you about appropriate follow-up, testing, blood glucose testing, etc.