Question:

From Vienna, Virginia, USA:

When checking my daughter's blood sugar, a caregiver pricked her own finger with a lancet accidentally, then used the lancet to check my daughter. This caregiver has no known blood diseases, but does have a hepatitis antibody in her blood that keeps her from being eligible to donate blood. Should I be concerned?

Answer:

Since you know the person, I would ask that she and your daughter have screening tests for hepatitis and HIV now and in a couple of months. The CDC has specific information on their web site as to schedules, etc. As a health care professional, I take needle sticks quite seriously.