Question:

From Syracuse, New York, USA:

My five-year-old daughter is in her honeymoon period after being diagnosed just over a month ago. She is not taking any short acting insulin, just a small about of Lantus. Is there anything I can do to help prolong her honeymoon?

Answer:

Do lots of blood sugar checks so you know the before and after meal values. Take "enough" insulin to get optimal blood glucose results. This will also "rest" the damaged islets according to some studies. Activity allows the pancreas to not need as much insulin as well. Be strict with carbohydrates and limit them to some extent so that the damaged pancreas does not have to work so hard. Usually, the honeymoon in young children does not last more than three to six months because of the underlying islet inflammation, so do not be so guilty if it does not work. Nobody really "scientifically" knows the answer to your question although it is a great one that has puzzled us for many decades.

Posted to Honeymoon