From Ridgeley, West Virginia, USA:

My six-year-old son had influenza (either type A or B-diagnosed by nasal swab) for about a week. Three days into his illness, he had laboratory work done. The laboratory work was done at 2:00 a.m. before an I.V. drip for dehydration was started. He hadn't eaten anything for at least six hours. His glucose level was 170 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L]. Neither the Emergency Room doctor nor his pediatrician were concerned by this number. He has no other symptoms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes does not run in either family. Should I insist on a fasting blood glucose test?

It looks like it wouldn't be necessary. However, a fasting blood and urine glucose level are too easy not to be done, especially just for double-checking.