Question:

From India:

Generally, I control my eating so my blood sugar remains almost normal but, sometimes I overeat and my sugar figure jumps. Thus, my diabetes becomes acute from borderline. What should be done if I have committed a mistake in eating? Is there any medicine that I can take after eating to prevent my sugar from increasing? Is there anything else I could do?

Answer:

In trying to determine what you need, in terms of therapy, it is necessary to define "sugar figure jumps." Note that all people have some degree of glucose elevation with any carbohydrate foodstuff. The magnitude and duration of the glucose rise is the point of interest. The glucose level two hours after a meal is the usual time point that people study. If your number is less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L], you are doing well. If you are clearly above 180 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L], your sugar is too high. Some patients can take medications, either oral, insulin, or other injectables, that can improve the post-meal glucose. I would also say that you and your physician should also follow your hemoglobin A1c level. A higher level suggests more aggressive therapy is indicated. A lower number means less aggressive therapy may be necessary to improve. Like you say, some dietary indiscretion does increase your blood sugar, but exercise and other lifestyle issues also make a difference.

Posted to Type 2