Question:

From Alpharetta, Georgia, USA:

I have heard that using cornstarch mixed with milk can help with nighttime hypoglycemia. If so, could you please give me the amount and explain why this works?

Answer:

I think you are referring to uncooked cornstarch used in some of the snack bars (Extend Bars, Nite Bites, etc). According to clinical studies, the bars with uncooked cornstarch have a unique blend of slow release carbohydrates, protein and fats that break down gradually over seven to nine hours. This prevents blood sugars from dropping low overnight. The specific amounts of cornstarch in these products is proprietary but seems to work well in some people with diabetes.

JMS

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Hypoglycemia