Question:

From Asunción, Paraguay:

I'm 17 years old and have type 1 diabetes. I would really like to know if Doug Burns used supplements like, for example, whey protein or creatine. If he did, which ones did he take? I've been going to the gym since 2005 and my doctor doesn't let me take the Optimum whey protein because it has one gram of sugar per serving and I would need one or two servings per day. Here, we have Universal, Optimum, Sports Nutrition, Muscle Tech and so on.

Answer:

Congratulations on your decision to becoming healthier; great effort! You won't be sorry.

Regarding supplements, yes, I do use them, but most often only in the 10 weeks prior to a strength or physique contest. Regarding their quality, in the past, you weren't always sure you were getting what the provider claimed, but things have changed and the companies you mention are all well regarded, Optimum Nutrition and Muscle Tech, in particular.

I assume your physician's concerns were regarding the potential risk to the kidney's associated with very elevated protein intake and not the 1 gram of sugar. There is ample evidence regarding the safety of taking moderate amounts of protein. Speak with him about it. I assume an effective compromise can be found.

DBurns

[Editor's comment: See also a previous question about a similar subject. BH]

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Other