Question:

From Cologne, Germany:

Cholesterol and triglycerides are always tested while fasting, but what happens if you develop hypoglycemia prior to the blood draw and must eat or drink something? Does a cup of juice or cola in the hour prior to the test raise levels? Also, I usually get in a light workout (cardiovascular, strength training) in the early morning. Can the physical activity alone adversely affect test results?

Answer:

I recommend to my patients that you should treat the low blood sugars, and, if needed, reschedule the fasting laboratory tests. I am sure that taking glucose tablets offers very little to the triglycerides. However, food eaten with fat in it, such as milk, coffee with creamer, and other breakfast foods, can falsely elevate the lipids. This is especially true of the triglycerides. Performing the exercise is not really a problem. You can see that having your patients fast all the time at clinic visits can be a real inconvenience. I usually only have them do this once a year for the fasting lipid panel if everything else is okay.