Question:

From Joliet, Illinois, USA:

My son is on NovoLog 70/30, two shots per day, 10 units in the morning and five to seven units in the evening. Sometimes I switch from the 70/30 to straight NovoLog at dinner if I am not sure how many grams of carbohydrates he will eat. The NovoLog is usually given halfway through dinner. How does this affect his nighttime blood sugars? He is still honeymooning. Do I need to be concerned about giving him a long acting insulin at night or will the morning 70/30 dose cover 24 hours?

Answer:

He runs out of injected insulin by the next morning if he gets only one shot of the 70/30. Most doctors would suggest NPH at bedtime. Indeed, you likely could give three shots, with NovoLog at dinner and NPH at bedtime. I've treated lots of kids that way.

Posted to Insulin and Daily Care