Question:

From New York City, New York, USA:

Do you have any information about the use of biofeedback for people with type 1 diabetes? My daughter has had a difficult time for years maintaining good control and we feel that stress may be part of the problem. So far, biofeedback has shown that she is highly anxious (though she doesn't feel it). I'm wondering if biofeedback is commonly used for diabetes and if there are any published studies on the subject.

Answer:

There is not much scientific literature, but it is quite reasonable for anyone with stress. Yoga, meditation, biofeedback, acupuncture, and exercise all likely have positive effects by decreasing the anxiety/stress response through decreasing adrenalin/cortisol - and thus would help lower sugar levels, decrease insulin resistance, etc.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations