Question:

From Shreveport, Louisiana, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes. On August 1, 2007, I was 6 feet, 1 inch tall and weighed 320 pounds. I have a large frame body. I considered lap band surgery to lose weight and hopefully get off some of the medicine I was taking. I take metformin, another diabetic medicine, Zocor, and two high blood pressure medicines. I decided against the surgery and started a low carbohydrate diet. I limit intake to virtually no carbohydrates, only protein, vegetables and fat, with no carbohydrates or sugars. I have lost 45 pounds to date and feel great. What kind and how many grams of carbohydrates will be acceptable going forward? I would like to lose another 50 pounds and that should be it. I went to the doctor last month and he eliminated one of my diabetic medicines. My average blood sugar went from 7.6 to 6.0. My triglycerides went from 360 to 170. My total cholesterol was below 200. I am about to start an exercise routine.

Answer:

Congratulations on the weight loss and the improving lipids. It certainly can play a major role with regards to diabetes management and the ability to decrease or eliminate some diabetes medications. With regards to recommendations for your specific meal plan, I would suggest that you meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. This person can develop an individualized meal plan to assist with further weight gain and assist you in obtaining optimal blood sugar control. Ask your physician for a referral, if needed.

JMS