Question:

From Macclenny, Florida, USA:

My granddaughter was diagnosed type 1 in October 2007. She now has celiac, also. Since we found out she has celiac, we have had to remove regular breads and pastas and buy gluten free breads and pastas. We were controlling her sugar levels very well until we switched breads and pasta. Now, her sugar levels are in the high 200s mg/dl [over 14.4 mmol/L] and hard to get down. Do you know of a special bread or pasta that she can have with a low level of carbohydrates that will not send her super so high? We bought gluten free white rice bread and gluten free rice spaghetti. It seems that everything gluten free is high in carbohydrates.

Answer:

I would suggest you visit the The Gluten-Free Mall web site to find some lower carbohydrate gluten free options for breads and pastas. Some particularly low carbohydrate gluten-free flours I know of are coconut, t'eff, fava, garbanzo, and various other bean flours. The web site has a wide variety of pastas and breads that should suit your needs, along with complete nutritional content so that you can compare carbohydrate content.

JMS

[Editor's comment: See also Flour Facts, a source for gluten free flour. BH]

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Celiac