From Gadsden, Alabama, USA:

My 13-year-old son is in great physical shape except for his diabetes. A football player, my son is very athletic, strong, and well built (not fat). His doctor is very impressed with him. As long as he stays physically fit, does it matter that he is eating a high carbohydrate diet? He eats a lot of pasta, potatoes, and breads, which we cover with insulin. Should we cut back some on the carbohydrates and give him free foods instead?

As long as the diabetes is controlled, things are okay with the diet. I would encourage him to learn to eat whole grains rather than it all being the white starches.

[Editor's comment: Your diabetes team may include a dietitian who can advise you on food choices. If the team does not include a dietitian, you may want to ask for the name of one in your area. BH]