Question:

From Aiken, South Carolina, USA:

I saw a news story on a major network that said that diet drinks make you gain weight. The story went on to say that this includes all artificially sweetened products. I thought from the story that the evidence wasn't very clear and I would like to hear the opinion of a medical professional to help me understand this. I have a child with type 1 and we used a lot of Splenda and occasionally other artificially sweetened products.

Answer:

This is an animal study; it may not be able to correlate to human issues. One will need to take this study further in regards to patients. As with anything, excess is not appropriate. As far as my patients are concerned, I am not putting much stock in this report.

ABS