Question:

From India:

I am 48 years old, 5 feet, 8 inches tall, and weigh 100 kg (222 pounds). I was taking metformin, but it didn't help me since I ate some sugar. My blood sugar was around 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] with 3 plus in urine, so I have started acarbose, 25 mg, once after evening meal, an allopathic health supplement and ayurvedic medicines which was confirmed by one doctor as okay. Another doctor said that I should not take health supplement and that acarbose is harmful to the liver after three months use. Can I continue the acarbose? I use 50 mg acarbose when I eat larger meals.

Answer:

I am not familiar with acarbose as having problems with the liver. It is not systemically absorbed from the gut. It works by inhibiting glucose from the gut. The biggest problem with acarbose is the increased amount of gas associated with its use. Because your doctor has told you not to use something, I feel it is best you clarify what it is that your doctor was concerned about.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes