From Rhode Island, USA:

My daughter is drinking and urinating a lot. She even gets up at night to go. Could a child have type 1 and diabetes insipidus together? My doctor says it's highly unlikely but there is always a chance. Have you ever heard of a child getting both? What else would make her drink a lot and urinate? She is seven years old, has had type 1 for two years and is on a pump. We do her boluses (she's in the process of learning). Her A1c was 8.0, when she was sick, but it is usually around 7.0.

Children rarely have both types of diabetes, since one is a problem with sugar, the other the inability to concentrate. It is pretty easy to look for the latter with morning urine. Also, if she is high in the night there will be sugar in the urine (high blood sugar, too). It shouldn't be so hard to rule out diabetes insipidus.

[Editor's comment: There is a disorder in which both exist. It is called Wolfram's Syndrome, which is "an autosomal recessive inherited disorder, with the chromosomal abnormality on the short arm of chromosome 4. It is also called DIDMOAD, for diabetes insipidus, diabetes mellitus, optic atrophy and deafness," according to the NIDDK's Diabetes Dictionary. BH]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Diabetes Insipidus