Question:

From Melbourne, Kentucky, USA:

My grandson was just diagnosed with type 1. His parents were told to replace juice and milk with Sprit Zero and Crystal Lite drinks. Why should he not have milk? Furthermore, I understood that the artificial sweeteners acted just like sugar, only it took longer to do so.

Answer:

Artificially sweetened beverages such as Crystal Lite or diet sodas do not affect blood sugars at all. I would still encourage milk intake in a child for the vitamin and calcium benefits, just make sure to count the carbohydrates in it. An eight ounce glass of low fat milk has 12 grams of carbohydrates and is part of a healthy, well-balanced diet.

JMS