From North Carolina, USA:

My daughter is 18 and just found out she is pregnant. Her doctor (not primary) is telling her that this is her best chance to EVER have a baby. She has been a diabetic for 10 years and has not had good blood sugar control. I would like to show her some information regarding the damages and complications of pregnancy with diabetics and cannot find any links. Could you please let me know if the doctor is correct and if there are any links out on the Internet that discuss teen pregnancy being a diabetic?

This web site has a lot of "frequently asked questions" about diabetes and pregnancy that could be informative for you and your daughter. Your daughter's issue is more the duration of diabetes and any consequences such as eye or kidney problems rather than being a teenager. Her chances with this pregnancy and any future pregnancies would be optimized by good glucose control and care by physicians who specialize in diabetes and pregnancy. In other words, this is not her only chance at a pregnancy, but it will take effort on her part to give her the best outcome.

[Editor's comment: See the CDC's Diabetes and Pregnancy Frequently Asked Questions. I could not find any articles about teen pregnancy and type 1. BH]

Posted to Pregnancy