Question:

From Macomb, Michigan, USA:

My 13-year-old daughter is on an insulin pump and is in excellent control. However, out-of-the-blue, on several occasions, she gets pain that starts in her abdominal area then moves around to both sides towards her back area. I cannot seem to pinpoint a cause or tie to any activity or food, area. She can go months without any pain, then have these pains for days in a row. She usually has to lie down and takes Motrin to ease the pain. Any ideas? She has not yet started her period.

Answer:

Recognizing that this is the epitome of practicing medicine from a distance, I guess it may be related to her ovaries and pain there, but it could be her kidneys, gall bladder or appendix. It is impossible to practice medicine like this over the Internet. Your pediatrician should be able to help.

Posted to Aches and Pains