Question:

From Annandale, New Jersey, USA:

My 10-year-old daughter has Down Syndrome and was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. During the past four or five months, she has been experiencing hip, leg, and knee pain. She "tells" me it hurts and sometimes the knee appears slightly swollen. I generally apply a cold pack, give her Motrin or Tylenol. It is happening more frequently. There is no bruising and she does not have any fevers. Could she be developing arthritis? Would this be common with diabetes? All the women, including myself, in my family have some sort of arthritis.

Answer:

Diabetes does not cause such knee symptoms so, I would go back to your doctors and have them investigate. Celiac and thyroiditis are more common in Down Syndrome patients with diabetes or without diabetes so these should be looked at. Sometimes celiac presents with arthralgias.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Other Illnesses