Question:

From Raleigh, North Carolina, USA:

I recently began taking Lantus at night. I know heat and exercise affect insulin absorption rates. I have two questions: First, if I gave the Lantus shot (10 units) and then took a very hot bath or shower, how would that affect the action of the Lantus? Secondly, how would exercising immediately before giving the Lantus shot affect the action of the Lantus, especially if I worked out the area where I give the shot? I am currently injecting in the stomach. I would like to get back into resistance training along with sit-ups, push-ups, and pull-ups. My normal workout time would be 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. and my shot would be around 10:00 to 10:30 p.m.

Answer:

The use of Lantus should not result in precipitous absorption with immediate lows, which might be possible with rapid-acting insulins. Of all the sites, the abdomen is least likely to increase absorption based on exercise.

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Exercise and Sports