Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from April 2008

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Sometimes after dinner, my blood sugar is very high. Is it safe to take an extra dose of Humalog to bring it down? I have moved and am trying to get an appointment with a doctor. (30 Apr 2008)

2. We were told my son's diabetic coma was caused by his medications for bipolar disorder. Now, the doctors say his medications are not working because of high blood sugars. Is this possible? (30 Apr 2008)

3. My young teen son is experiencing very high blood sugars around 2 or 3 a.m. We've tried increasing his insulin, but he's still high. Is this related to his growth hormones? He has grown about 6 inches in a year. (29 Apr 2008)

4. I'm having a C-Peptide test done soon. How will external insulin affect the results? What other things can affect the results? (29 Apr 2008)

5. Do people with diabetes reach a point at which they plateau athletically and seem not be able to progress further? Both of my daughters are runners. The older, who has diabetes, cannot push her body as much as her younger sister seems to be able to do. (29 Apr 2008)

6. My son is wetting his bed, gains, then loses weight, does not like to be in the sun, and has dark rings around his eyes. Could he have diabetes? (27 Apr 2008)

7. Out of curiosity, I've been checking my blood sugars. Once, when lightheaded, I was 58 mg/dl [3.2 mmol/L]. Today, I was 62 mg/dl [3.4 mmol/L] fasting. Is this considered "normal?" (27 Apr 2008)

8. When I speak to high school classes about diabetes, students often ask if they can check their blood sugar. Why can't the school nurse do this once a semester? Could I offer to do the checks? (27 Apr 2008)

9. My son is going through puberty with very high blood sugars and ketones. He did well in the hospital recently so the doctor has suggested a home health aide to administer I.V. fluids. Is this scenario common? (27 Apr 2008)

10. To become a CDE, I cannot sit for the exam without being employed in diabetes education. But, you have to be a CDE to be employed in diabetes education. What can I do? (26 Apr 2008)

11. Is there any association between alcohol intake and insulin secretion and sensitivity? How does the body process alcohol, as carbohydrates, sugar, or otherwise? (26 Apr 2008)

12. My 19-year-old daughter hasn't had a period for over three years. She has pre-diabetes, hypothyroidism, hepatitis C, and is overweight. Where can we find a doctor to help us? Our daughter is currently uninsured. (26 Apr 2008)

13. Even though my son's blood sugars were low during a three-hour test, at home, he still is symptomatic for diabetes and has fluctuating blood sugars. What should I do? (26 Apr 2008)

14. Before her diagnosis, my daughter complained of a stomach ache and we were told it was from ketones. She's complaining of pain again. What could the cause be now? (25 Apr 2008)

15. Both of my kids were on pumps, but I took them off after my daughter kept having ketones. The doctor never called me back. Can you explain the ketones? (25 Apr 2008)

16. Just diagnosed in February, my daughter spaces her NovoLog injections at a minimum of three hours apart. I've heard some people do overlaps. Is there a formula to use for overlapping doses? (22 Apr 2008)

17. Two years ago, I was put on Elidel cream. A year ago, I was diagnosed with type 1. Could the cream have triggered the diabetes? (21 Apr 2008)

18. My son has had extreme hunger, thirst and drenching night sweats and I am concerned he has diabetes. What do you think of these symptoms? (21 Apr 2008)

19. Is there a facility in the U.S. where my friend's son can go for help with diabetes, substance abuse and alcoholism? (20 Apr 2008)

20. My son has morphea on his abdomen so he is injecting insulin away from the lesion. Sometimes the insulin seems ineffective. How does the morphea affect insulin absorption? (20 Apr 2008)

21. For about six months, my son has had some unusual behavior, then bed wetting and fluctuating blood sugars at home. His last fasting blood sugar test done by a laboratory was in range. What do you think of these symptoms? I'm concerned that something is wrong, yet no one is listening. (16 Apr 2008)

22. What can you tell me about the carcinogenicity of Lantus? Is Levemir safer? (13 Apr 2008)

23. My daughter uses Lucozade for the treatment of lows. What is the U.S. equivalent of this product? She is travelling to Utah for a ski trip and may need to get a substitute. (13 Apr 2008)

24. The new endocrinologist I saw, through the military, wants me to take me off insulin. I was diagnosed with type 1 in 1998 and have episodes of severe pancreatitis. What can I do? I am afraid I will die if I stop taking insulin. (13 Apr 2008)

25. I'm interested in getting a pump for daughter and am interested in the OmniPod. Do you know any negatives about this? Is there a better method of improving her blood sugar control? (13 Apr 2008)

26. My podiatrist suggested I wear support socks for my leg swelling. Am I supposed to wear them all the time or just when I'm not in bed? (13 Apr 2008)

27. What is the risk of getting gestational diabetes if you had insulin resistance as a child? Can I avoid this through continuing exercise while pregnant? (13 Apr 2008)

28. My daughter has had type 1 for nine years. She has been complaining of ankle pain. Her ankles, fingers and face look puffy. Could it be her shoes? At 11, is she too young for kidney problems and neuropathy? (13 Apr 2008)

29. When one rebounds from a low, what is the range for the rebound blood sugar? Could the amount of insulin one still produces affect the rebound? Does a rebound happen only with a dangerous low or also when the blood sugar is dropping quickly? (11 Apr 2008)

30. I've had diabetes for 13 years. Although I've had A1cs around 7, I had to withdrawal from college due to severe gastroparesis. Could there be another cause for my slow gastric emptying? (11 Apr 2008)

31. How does oscillation/degradation of oral agents or injected insulin affect down-regulation of insulin receptors? (11 Apr 2008)

32. My daughter has dark patches on her neck and underarms. Her blood sugar, one hour after lunch, was about 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. If diagnosed with diabetes, could diet alone control it? (9 Apr 2008)

33. After the doctor found glucose in my daughter's urine, he sent us for laboratory work. My daughter's blood sugar was 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L]. Might she develop type 1 in the future? (7 Apr 2008)

34. On a feeding tube since infancy, my four-year-old had elevated blood sugars in laboratory work. Could it be that she needs a change in formula? Or, could she have type 1? (7 Apr 2008)

35. My young teen daughter wants to grow tall like her cousins so the doctor has recommended Somatropin. What are the side effects of this? What do you recommend? (7 Apr 2008)

36. My daughter had a random blood sugar of 138 mg/dl [7.7 mmol/L]. Is that considered high? (7 Apr 2008)

37. Tests have revealed that my daughter has an ectopic pancreas that is causing pain, illness, and erratic blood sugars. What do you know about ectopic pancreas? Could this pancreas be producing insulin? (7 Apr 2008)

38. My daughter's endocrinologist was reluctant to give me a prescription for a pump because he felt my daughter was too young. Then, my daughter has a low so he told us to stop NovoLog. What should I do? (5 Apr 2008)

39. For a second year in a row, my son's public middle school refuses to give him a 504 plan. They say an individualized health plan is all he needs. Is this correct? (5 Apr 2008)

40. My friend is not taking care of her diabetes. When I've seen her meter, I saw nothing but elevated blood sugars and those reading are infrequent. What can I do to help her get back on track? (5 Apr 2008)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts