Question:

From Singapore:

My 13-year-old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for about four years, is doing well with A1cs of 6.5 to 7.2. She is 153 cm (5 feet) tall and weighs 44 kg (97 pounds). I am 163 cm (5 feet, 4 inches) tall and my husband is 167 cm (5 feet, 5 inches). My son is 178 cm (5 feet, 8 inches). She wants to grow tall as all her cousins are tall, but the doctor feels she has inherited my husband's genes as no one is tall in his family. Her bone x-ray was taken and bone age was 13 years when she was 12 years, 8 months old. Her Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 is 817.2 UG/L. My doctor suggested putting her on Somatropin. She started her period in November 2007 and, since then, her height has not increased. What are the side effects of taking growth hormone for type 1 patients? What are the chances of her growing? What does this insulin like growth factor mean? She takes 50 mcg thyroxin. Her T4 free serum was 13.2. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone serum is 1.797. My worry is about her taking growth hormone. What do you recommend?

Answer:

It does not sound like she needs growth hormone, which has the potential to damage the blood vessels in diabetes - especially the eyes. So, usually one uses growth hormone when there is extreme short stature or actual deficiency, not just for cosmetic reasons. Growth hormone is also very expensive. With a mature bone age, no delay in bone age, it does not sound like such a good idea.

Posted to Other Medications