Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

Two years ago, my doctor prescribed Elidel cream to treat lack of pigment on my hands and face. A year ago, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Could the cream have triggered the diabetes?

Answer:

It is not likely that the cream triggered type 1 diabetes. However, it is known that type 1 diabetes can occur in individuals who have evidence of other autoimmune problems. It is known that vitiligo is caused by autoimmune destruction of the pigment-producing cells in the skin and is one of the other autoimmune conditions that has been associated with type 1 diabetes. Other conditions include pernicious anemia, hypothyroidism, hypoadrenalism, and premature ovarian failure in women. In some cases, there have been genes that have actually been found that program the body's immune system. It would be a good idea to be screened for these other conditions by your physician.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Research: Causes and Prevention