Question:

From Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

My seven-year-old has had blood sugar problems for a year. He drinks, eats and urinates a lot. His blood sugar numbers are elevated, but have only gone over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] a few times. The doctor told me they are somewhat abnormal but not enough to warrant further concern. The one glucose test he had last summer read low. At one hour, it was 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L]; at two hours, 70 mg/dl [3.9 mmol/L]; and three hours, 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L]. She said he was hypoglycemic and it would go away after eating a lot of protein for a week. He continues to be high and spills ketones on occasion but not a large amount. I don't know what to do. His blood sugar fluctuates wildly. Is there anything else I can ask about or should I ask to repeat the glucose test?

Answer:

It sounds like you need a consultation with a good pediatric diabetologist. There are several in the Denver area. Bring this testing data with the specific results plus whatever home blood glucose testing you have been doing since this will help them sort this out.