From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

At the age of 19, my daughter she hasn't had a period for over three years and we don't know why. She is pre-diabetic, diagnosed two years ago, with no medication prescribed. She also has hepatitis C and autoimmune hepatitis, diagnosed four years ago, with no medication prescribed. This is a result of nine blood transfusions she received as a preemie in 1988. For her hypothyroidism, she takes Levroxyl. She lost 95% of her hair three years ago for no known reason. She is grossly overweight. We couldn't seem to find a doctor in Chicago who could coordinate and figure out why she has all these conditions when we had insurance and good doctors. She goes to medical clinics for colds and the flu. The state of Illinois cut her off when she turned 18 and we are applying for adult medical insurance. She lives at home and goes to a local college. Where can we go for help?

Several thoughts come to mind. First, her obesity may be a marker of polycystic ovary syndrome. This combines insulin resistance (pre-diabetes) with menstrual irregularities. In addition, her history of hepatitis C and obesity put her at marked increase risk for type 2 diabetes. The loss of hair may also be an autoimmune phenomenon, as endocrine autoimmune disorders can also include hair loss. She needs to be evaluated and will require persistent follow-up for best care. I would recommend you see someone with experience in endocrinology. Chicago has several good large centers at Rush, Northwestern, the University of Chicago, the University of Illinois, etc. What I can't provide for you is the best way to change the system so that all people have a fair and equal access to healthcare. I wish I could.

Posted to Other and Insurance/Costs