From Bellevue, Washington, USA:

Both my child and my husband have type 1. Out of curiosity, I started to check my blood sugars and now wonder if I need to see a doctor about my numbers. After a high carbohydrate dinner the other night, I was 86 mg/dl [4.8 mmol/L] two hours post-meal. Many times, I have a lightheaded feeling (usually when I haven't eaten in a few hours), so I decided to test myself under those circumstances. One time, I was 58 mg/dl [3.2 mmol/L] and then, this morning, I was 62 mg/dl [3.4 mmol/L] upon waking, about eight hours after having some carbohydrates. Are these numbers within "normal" range? I plan on continuing to test myself more.

The numbers you are obtaining are not necessarily abnormal. They might be of concern for a person who regularly takes insulin. However, unless you are having symptoms that are bothersome to you, I would not worry. There are no absolute lower boundaries for "normal people." It is very common for women who are pregnant to wake with sugars in the 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L] to 60 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L] range. Other than feeling hungry, this is not considered abnormal. I would recommend speaking with your primary physician for reassurance.