Question:

From Killeen, Texas, USA:

I want to know what to look for in my son if he were to have children's diabetes. He has a problem wetting the bed at night. He gains weight and loses it pretty quickly. He cannot stand to be outside in the sun for too long. He has dark rings around his eyes. I had talked to a social worker and she had said that he sounds like he has the symptoms of children's diabetes. He has had this all his life. When he has to go to the bathroom during the day, it is very urgent and he cannot hold it too long. I am saddened by his frustration of wetting the bed and not eating. I do not know what to do.

Answer:

You should discuss this with your child's pediatrician or family doctor, not just your social worker. There are medications and also strategies for dealing with enuresis. Diabetes certainly can be one of the disorders that causes bed wetting but usually a sudden change from non-wetting to wetting. Simple urinalysis and blood glucose test can usually establish the diagnosis if this were the cause. There are also other bladder abnormalities and genetic/family factors that contribute to bed wetting. DDAVP pills or nose spray often will also help. Consultation with a pediatric urologist may be helpful.

The circles under the eyes would more likely be related to allergies or chronic sinus problems. Consult with your doctor for evaluation. Anything that causes dehydration acutely or chronically may also be involved.

[Editor's comment: See also Symptoms of Diabetes on our web site. You may also find it helpful to look at the web sites of The Diabetes Insipidus Foundation, Inc. and the NDI (Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus) Foundation.

BH]