Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from May 2008

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My son's blood sugar was low at the doctor's office despite symptoms of diabetes. At home, he's been both high and low. Should I get another opinion? (27 May 2008)

2. Diagnosed in February, my teen son has needed no short acting insulin since mid-March. He runs on the track team. His GAD test was negative. What does this mean? Are there other causes for his condition? (27 May 2008)

3. Is the Down syndrome happening only in the morning or can this happen also around lunch time, in the afternoon or any time of the day? (27 May 2008)

4. My son had a blood sugar of 215 mg/dl [11.9 mmol/L] 30 minutes after drinking some soda as a GTT. The doctor said it was diabetes. I am now limiting his carbohydrate intake, but he's not gaining weight. How many carbohydrates should he get per day? Should I be checking his blood sugar one or two hours after meals? (25 May 2008)

5. When my young son experiences gastrointestinal viruses, we have to cut back on his insulin drastically to avoid lows. Once on the road to recovery, it is several days before we need to give him meal boluses. How is this possible? Could his pancreas be trying to work? (19 May 2008)

6. Two years ago, my daughter's insulin level was elevated. She gets exercise, but has gained some weight. What vitamins/supplements should I give her? (19 May 2008)

7. I am considering an OmniPod system for my son. Do you have recent experience with kids using the pod? (19 May 2008)

8. Can I use the Injex 30 system with my child? Do you have any comments about this device? (19 May 2008)

9. When hospitalized for appendicitis, my son had a blood glucose of 126 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L] and large urine ketones. The pediatrician thinks it was caused by stress, or could he be developing diabetes? (19 May 2008)

10. When a person is diagnosed with a blood glucose in the 1000s mg/dl [over 55.6 mmol/L], is there more damage to the body and pancreas than a person who is, say, 600 mg/dl [33.3 mmol/L]? (18 May 2008)

11. After taking epilyn syrup for seizures, my son's blood sugar was elevated. He needed insulin to bring it down to normal. Could the syrup have caused the high blood sugar? Can the seizures and the high blood glucose be related because it all started together? (17 May 2008)

12. I've had type 1 for about two years. Two doctors adjusted my insulin due to persistent highs. Now on HUMINSULIN 30/70, I am having many lows. Sometimes I am still walking around, even though I am only 30 mg/dl [1.7 mmol/L]. What do you recommend? (17 May 2008)

13. Because it feels like food is sitting in my stomach, I have been purging a little of some of my meals. Given that I have had abdominal trauma in the past, could this be gastroparesis? Is purging more dangerous for a type 1 diabetic to engage in as opposed to a non-diabetic? (16 May 2008)

14. My 14-year-old son was diagnosed nine months ago. Does he need to be seen by an endocrinologist or can our family physician treat him? (16 May 2008)

15. Because she is overweight and had an elevated A1c, our diabetes team would like to start my daughter on Glucophage or Symlin. Are either reasonable for a child? Might she achieve better control? (16 May 2008)

16. Who is typically included in a 504? My daughter's school has us do a 504 at the end of the year for use the following year. Is this way other schools do it? (16 May 2008)

17. If my son were ever to need to have emergency surgery i.e., appendectomy, what do I need to know about how his blood sugar would need to be managed? (16 May 2008)

18. We have learned that our son is not checking his blood sugar when needed, causing extremely high blood sugars, and lying to us about checking. How can we help him get back on track? (14 May 2008)

19. On your Fast Food Nutrition Facts page, what is meant by "exchanges?" (14 May 2008)

20. How can a type 1 diabetic lose weight? (12 May 2008)

21. My daughter is going through many growth changes at four years of age. Why does this cause such a change in her glucose numbers? (12 May 2008)

22. Because he was symptomatic, I checked my son's A1c. It was 5.6. I thought a child should be less than 4. Am I wrong? Should he have a glucose tolerance test? (12 May 2008)

23. Can I give my diabetic child vitamins, cod liver oil and omega 3? (12 May 2008)

24. When I checked my son's blood sugar due to night terrors (results were normal), I also checked my two other children. Both had elevated readings. Should I take them in for tests? (12 May 2008)

25. My toddler has been drinking a lot, soaking through her diapers. She has awakened from naps shaking that stopped when I gave her some candy. All her tests were negative, according to the pediatrician, but I'm concerned that some of her results abnormal. Is this a concern? Could she have pre-diabetes? (11 May 2008)

26. For people with type 2, do insulin oscillations contribute to insulin resistance? (11 May 2008)

27. Do you know what weight lifting supplement is the best for a type 1 diabetic or should I avoid them all? (11 May 2008)

28. What do you think of the pump? (11 May 2008)

29. I've heard that a doctor did a study and concluded that pumps are not the best for teens. How true is this? I'm concerned because my teen son uses a pump. (11 May 2008)

30. My niece, who's had type 1 since July, has been complaining of tingling from her waist down. Her doctor is going to consult a neurologist. Should she be tested for a partial trisomy since there are genetic issues in our family? (11 May 2008)

31. Having type 1 myself, I have checked my son, who is always thirsty and wetting the bed, and found sugars all over the place. Could he have diabetes? Should we take him to an endocrinologist? (10 May 2008)

32. When sick Wednesday, my daughter had a high blood sugar and ketones. Both returned to normal after admission to the hospital so she was not diagnosed with type 1. What do you think this was? (10 May 2008)

33. What are the most gentle lancets? (10 May 2008)

34. My son was diagnosed with type 1 at four, double diabetes at eight, and now, a neurogenic bladder. Could the latter have been caused by his diabetes? Is this common in children with diabetes? (10 May 2008)

35. I read about a connection between blood glucose and likelihood of determining the sex of your unborn child. Does this mean type 1s are more likely to give birth to boys? (10 May 2008)

36. The pediatrician has put my son on inhaled steroids. The endocrinologist said to watch his blood sugar and correct as needed. What do you suggest? (9 May 2008)

37. Since I have type 1 diabetes, am I more likely to get my period later than I normally would if I didn't have diabetes? Or, is it just in my genes? (8 May 2008)

38. Diagnosed with type 1 two months ago, my son has been able to stop taking insulin. He follows a strict diet and even lost weight his first month after diagnosis. What's going on here? Does he have type 1, type 2, MODY, or something else? (8 May 2008)

39. Recently diagnosed, my daughter is experiencing huge swings in her blood sugar. What is happening to her body when this happens? (8 May 2008)

40. My daughter has many of the symptoms of diabetes, but, when checked by the doctor, she was considered normal. Could she be developing diabetes? (6 May 2008)

41. After a flu-like virus, my daughter's body temperature was low. If it was not the fever breaking, what could have caused it? Should we be concerned? (6 May 2008)

42. If an open vial of insulin (at a coolish room temperature) is good for 30 days, how long is an open vial of insulin good for when stored in the refrigerator? (6 May 2008)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts