Question:

From York, Pennsylvania, USA:

My three-year-old goes to the bathroom frequently. He has started wetting the bed and is always thirsty. Since I have type 1, I checked his sugar and sometimes it was high. The other day, it was 189 mg/dl [10.5 mmol/L], two hours after eating. I think he has pre-diabetes. His fasting blood sugar at the doctor's office was 45 mg/dl [2.5 mmol/L]. Yesterday, his fasting blood sugar was 114 mg/dl [6.3 mmol/L]. His sugar is all over the place. Do you think he has diabetes? Should we take him to an endocrinologist?

Answer:

It isn't clear. Please ask your doctor for a consultation with a pediatric endocrinologist who has experience with children with diabetes.