From Centuria, Wisconsin, USA:

My six-year-old niece, who's had type 1 since last July, has been complaining of tingling from her waist down to her toes. She says it feel like her toes are coming off but does not hurt. They episodes did subside for some month but came back again. The doctor has done blood work and all has come back normal. They tested her for celiac, also. She has had an EKG and an echocardiogram, which came back normal. Also, she had hip dysplasia surgery at the age of two and a half. Her parents do not know where else to look so we are looking for some possiable suggestions. Her doctor is going to talk to a neurologist. Also, my daughter, her half-cousin, has a partial trisomy 2 and partial trisomy 15 and I have a balanced translocation. Do you think this is something for which she should be tested? My brother and I share a mother and have a deceased half-brother who also had a genetic abnormality.

It is extremely rare to have diabetes cause such nerve problems (called neuritis) in such a young child. I would look for other causes so that seeing a neurologist is a good idea.

Posted to Other Illnesses and Genetics and Heredity