Question:

From North Salem, New York, USA:

I've been weight lifting for two years and have been taking whey protein powder. I take about 150 grams of protein a day. I'm looking into weight lifting supplements, such as creatine. Do you know what weight lifting supplement is the best for a type 1 diabetic or should I avoid them all?

Answer:

Good questions!

One hundred fifty grams a day is a great number, but only if you really need it. People who exercise need definitely need more protein then the average (0.8 grams per kilogram body weight) person, but most will not receive any benefit of exceeding 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight. Most recommendations are done in kilograms, and to convert from pounds to kilograms you have to divide the number of pounds by 2.2.

Example:

A 150 pound person = 150 divided by 2.2 = 68.2 kilograms

Then, just multiply the number of kilograms by the amount of protein you want.

Example: For the 150 pound person

0.8 grams per kg of body weight = 0.8 times 68.2 = 54.56 grams

1.5 grams per kg of body weight = 1.5 times 68.2 = 102.3 grams

With respect to the creatine, the idea behind it makes sense; increase the amount in the body in order for you to be able to do more short term intense exercise (like weight lifting). Some studies do show a possible benefit, but they haven't been thorough enough and have not looked at long term effects, and that is the tricky part. It’s not that I would not not recommend it, I would just not recommend it in the first place.

I believe that having the right amount of protein for your body to use is way more important (in addition to vitamins, minerals, and all that other good stuff). Far too often people focus on just one part of the nutrition puzzle, but what is needed is to concentrate on all aspects of nutrition. For example, dehydration is important of course for endurance exercise, but it is just as critical for weight lifting.

Don't feel alone with questions on how to build a better body. Doug Burns, who’s won Mr. USA, Mr. California, Mr. Southern States, the winner of Six Power lifting Championships and an American Record holding strength athlete is always on the lookout for something to help in the weight room. But he’s also a big proponent of lifting naturally. (Oh, did I mention he’s had diabetes since he was seven?) If you want more information, see our page on Doug Burns Pumps Weights and Insulin or Scrawny Boy With Type 1 Diabetes Becomes Mr. Universe.

(Dietary Recommendations provided by the American College of Sports Medicine)

BF

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Exercise and Sports