Question:

From Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA:

My 14-year-old son was diagnosed nine months ago. Does he need to be seen by an endocrinologist or can our family physician treat him?

Answer:

As a pediatric endocrinologist, I have strong feelings about this. I have an entire team dedicated to childhood diabetes. Maybe that's why I think my team should care for kids with diabetes. It's more than just me. It's more than just insulin, food and blood glucose. My team helps families cope and understands the growing child and the adolescent with diabetes. We have access to the latest of everything diabetes and offer it to families. My team just finished a family weekend at a nearby camp where over 200 family members met together...kids with type 1, siblings, parents and lots of great young adults and some teens to help. Many also had diabetes, too. It's that dedication to diabetes that you, too, deserve. My team has community support and a local endowment for kids. We go to camp every summer. I am not unique. Many others are dedicated to children with diabetes all over the world. Find your team.

I live in a part of Florida where families drive many hours to see me. I know it's a burden for them, but I think my team offers something special and worthy of the effort for the families.

[Editor's comment: It is understandable that you may not be able to find a pediatric endocrinologist nearby given your location. Perhaps you can have the family physician see your son at least three times a year for his diabetes care, with one or two yearly trips to the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes in Denver for specialized care.

BH]