From Malta:

My five and a half-year-old son recently had a seizure, followed by a second one fifteen days after. It was always when he was sleeping during the night. I took him to the hospital in an emergency and they started tests. The results were all okay but they put him on epilyn syrup for the seizures. During his stay, they found that his glucose level was high, sometimes even 17 mmol/L [306 mg/dl]. After a week, it went down, but he has been getting an injection of 3 ml Insulatard every morning. Now, he is within the normal range. Do you think hat the epilyn syrup may have caused the high blood glucose? Can the seizures and the high blood glucose be related because it all started together? The doctors say that is unlikely.

I agree with the doctors: it is very likely that the syrup may cause high blood sugar, but this is not related to seizures for sure.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA