Question:

From Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA:

My six-year-old son has some symptoms of diabetes. He drinks all the time. I have been getting a fasting blood sugar with a home monitor. His levels range from 97 mg/dl [5.4 mmol/L] to 160 mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L]. Sometimes two hours after eating, his blood sugar is around 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. Should I be worried that he is pre-diabetic?

Answer:

Assuming you are doing the testing properly, you should promptly review these test results with your pediatrician for advice about any formal testing that may be necessary. A blood sugar over 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] at any time is abnormal.