From Lenox, Iowa, USA:

Eight years ago, my 10-year-old daughter died from the onset of diabetes. I was wondering how many other children die because it was too late before anyone realized what was going on?

In a 1990 article in the journal Diabetes Nutrition and Metabolism, a study (not found online) indicated that less than 1 percent of children died at the onset of the diagnosis of diabetes.

[Editor's comment: For related information, see Why do children with diabetes die? and Hyperglycemic crises and their complications in children.

Our sincere belated sympathies on the loss of your daughter. BH]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other