From Jupiter, Florida, USA:

When I was 27 years old, I was diagnosed as a borderline diabetic. I reduced my consumption of refined carbohydrates and have since tested normal on all my medical exams. I am now 69, a vegan vegetarian, moderately active and in excellent health. I take no medication and rarely indulge in the consumption of anything containing sugar or white flour products.

I have a five-year-old boy to whom my wife likes to give an excessive amount of special treats. He now craves anything sweet and I have to struggle very hard and constantly watch his diet when caring for him three days a week, when my wife is at work. He is a good swimmer and I have enrolled him on a swim team where he swims three days a week. However, 3 feet, 10 inches tall, at 63 pounds and with a bulging tummy, he tires easily when walking more than one mile and is always the slowest when sprinting in the playground with other kids.

He insists on going for walks with me sometimes when I do a three mile walk, but is exhausted at the finish just over an hour later. He is in otherwise excellent health and is mentally alert and very bright. So, should I be concerned about him developing diabetes? His maternal grandmother is a diabetic who takes insulin injections regularly.

Another question: Is it possible for a normally healthy person, who is physically active and consuming a healthy, low refined-carbohydrate diet to develop diabetes anyway?

Regarding your questions, any child that is overweight is more likely to develop diabetes. That risk increases as they age. We typically start screening for diabetes in children when they are at age 12 and overweight. Also, craving sweets or refined carbohydrates is not a symptom of diabetes. Diet plays a large role, however, in the development of type 2 diabetes. One should focus on a healthy, well balanced diet and maintenance of a normal weight to help avoid increasing their risk for type 2 diabetes.