Question:

From Orange Park, Florida, USA:

I have a pump that is not waterproof and there is no waterproof case for it. I am planning to go river rafting in a couple of weeks and wonder how I should best handle my pump and diabetes management that day. I will be in the water for at least three hours at a time.

Answer:

Two ideas for you. (And what a great idea to go river rafting - sounds like fun!)

First, look for waterproof cases for other devices: cameras, PDAs, etc. that might fit. I've found waterproof bags (they are like Ziploc baggies but much, much stronger) at camping stores like Eastern Mountain Sports. I've used them for my continuous glucose meter. I don't know how the bags would function with tubing, and it's something you would want to test before hand (with something else other then the pump).

The second idea is a "pump holiday" - coming off of the pump and going back to shots for a brief amount of time. You would have to discuss this with your doctor, you would need their help in setting up the insulin amounts. This is another idea you would need to test prior to going on your trip.

BF

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Exercise and Sports