From Indiana, USA:

My stepson is raised by his grandparents but I try to be an active part of his life. They handle all the medical aspects and don't involve us much. My question has to do with foot care and cuts on the feet. They recently told me I'm not allowed to take him swimming in any lakes because injuries on his feet could be so bad for him. I'm just wondering how extreme this is. I make him wear water shoes. Are small cuts on the feet really that bad?

While diabetes foot care should not be minimized, it is usually an issue for those with poor circulation, usually older people. I tell parents just that. A bad infection anywhere is harder to heal when blood sugar is high. The routine scrapes of life and childhood are generally okay.