From Duxbury, Massachusetts, USA:

I am curious to know the opinions of the diabetes team on this issue. Do you support a public school requiring diabetic students to submit to a blood glucose test whenever the principal requests, for discipline purposes, specifically, before the student is investigated? A public high school principal required a blood glucose test of a student prior to providing due process. The principal claims the blood test is needed in order for him to follow due process. The principal required a student to submit a blood glucose just in case the student was involved in falsifying his identity to a substitute teacher. The student refused to submit to do a blood glucose test because the student did not feel low or high and did not commit the allegations. The principal forced the student to do a blood test. The following day, the school learned the name of the student who did commit the act of falsifying identification and it was not the diabetic student. The school is standing by its intent to force diabetic students to submit to blood glucose testing before they follow due process or discipline diabetic students. My son has graduated from this school, however, there are at least six diabetic students remaining in the high school and I am concerned for them. Blood testing should not be made into a mockery and used for discipline.

Unless ordered by the student's personal health care physician and authorized by parent, I can think of no reason that would merit a blood glucose check for disciplinary purposes - unless it wasn't a check for blood glucose, but a check for drugs and chemicals. Parent should consider calling principal's supervisor, school district superintendent, and school board to let them know the principal's actions were not authorized and s/he needs to be reprimanded. Consideration might also be given to contacting the ACLU. Write appropriate provisions into student's 504 Plan or IEP as well.

For more information about diabetes and school issues and about ADA's Safe at School Campaign, see the ADA's web page on School Discrimination or call 1-800-DIABETES.

Posted to School and Daycare and Other Social Issues