Question:

From Syracuse, New York, USA:

I am thinking about taking the supplement Lipovox. Lipovox is a pill containing extracts of "10 Super Foods" that allegedly help a person lose weight, improve skin (acne), and increase energy. Supposedly, people lose anywhere from three to 10 pounds in 10 days and everyone notices skin improvement and increase in energy. It appeals to me as a 44 year-old type 1 diabetic because I haven't been able to lose weight despite all reasonable efforts and I lack energy. My A1c is 6.5. I have had this disease for five years, I am on an insulin pump and I have progressively gained weight, 25 pounds in five years, since going on insulin. Otherwise, I'm healthy.

The extracts include: Brazilian acai, cayenne pepper fruit, garlic, soybeans, isofavones, barley, wheatgrass, lactobacillus acidophilus, alfalfa sprouts, flaxseed, and buckwheat. In addition, green tea extract, salmon oil powder, alpha lipoic acid and DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol).

What is your opinion? Is it safe for a type 1 diabetic? Have you heard of weight loss as a result of taking a supplement containing the aforementioned "super foods?"

Answer:

No, I am not familiar with weight loss with this combination. The FDA does not require clinical trials to for products marketed as nutritional supplements. You are on your own with this. It is unlikely to hurt you. However, it is hard to show efficacy and it is probably very expensive.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss