From India:

1. Downregulation of insulin's receptors at target cells due to excess insulin exposure is possible. These can be reversible or upregulate on normal or lesser insulin exposure. How much time might it take to reverse downregulation on normal or lesser insulin exposure? I just want to understand how much time is needed to downregulate on excess exposure and to upregulate on normal exposure of insulin to target cells.

2. One can get "used to" to persistent hyperglycemia. One can also get relative hypoglycemia and hypoglycemia unawareness at higher than normal levels in "used to" hyperglycemia people. This condition is reversible. As such, I want to know at what blood sugar level do people become "used to" hyperglycemia? How can one reverse this?

1. It probably takes weeks to months to improve insulin sensitivity by decreasing insulin exposure through lifestyle or pharmacologic changes.

2. Most of the severe hypoglycemia unawareness problems occur with blood sugars less than 60 mg/dl [[3.3 mmol/L], often preceded by lows, especially during the night. The numbers you mention are way too high. I would not consider it likely for one to have problems with desensitization to low glucose above 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L].

Posted to Other and Type 2