Question:

From Medford Lakes, New Jersey, USA:

My six-year-old daughter has celiac disease. She has neuropathy in her hands and feet. She wets the bed and drinks a lot. She had a fasting blood sugar of 106 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L] and an A1c of 5.8. Even though this falls in the pre-diabetes category, everyone says she's fine, no treatment needed. I called Children's Hospital and the nurse told me they don't treat pre-diabetics unless the child is overweight, which is not the case here. Can you tell me if I'm just waiting for it to turn into diabetes or is there anything I can do? And, where do I go since I can't find a pediatrician who thinks I need to do something? Should I find an endocrinologist?

Answer:

Interesting question. I have faced this, too. It isn't diabetes, YET. So, how can you find out what is going on? I have sent patients for antibodies, islet cell, GAD and insulin tests. If two or more of these tests were positive, I would start insulin. If not, then wait. That is at least a rational approach with good science.